American Pundit has the story, and again, remember that Norway has strict gun control laws, which the Left insists will keep us safe. Of course they also tell us that we do not “need” guns we have police. Yeah, right
The psychopath who shot up Utoya island was the only one with a gun. See, Norway allows civilians to have certain guns, but usually for hunting and sport shooting. In fact, possession of a handgun apparently has to be justified by some sort of sporting hobby.
To own a gun in Norway, one must document a use for the gun. By far, the most common grounds for civilian ownership are hunting and sports shooting, in that order. Other needs can include special guard duties or self defense, but the first is rare and the second is practically never accepted as a reason for gun ownership.
So once again the only people truly armed are the criminals. Law-abiding citizens who would use weapons to defend themselves and/or others are stopped from doing so.
But who cares, right? There’s always the police, right? About that:
The most recent news accounts indicate that the gunman shot up Utoya Island for an hour and a half before he was finally stopped. The SWAT team that wounded and captured him arrived at the island 40 minutes after they were called.
The police team had to be dispatched from Oslo. Then they had to gear up. Then they had to get a boat. Then they had to make their way to the island. Then they had to find the guy.
All while the suspect was shooting-up the island, leaving dead children in his wake.
And still, you know the Left will try to pimp this tragedy don’t you? There will now be calls for “tighter” gun laws. You just know it. That is as sure to happen as is the Left tying this maniac to Conservatives.
You just knew this was coming…
Disturbed Oslo mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik was known to be a fan of Winston Churchill so the media is having a heyday.
In their article on the massacre Reuters used the terms “right-wing” or “far-right” 25 times.
And the far left is already linking the killer to Sarah Palin and tea party.
Truly sickening. Robert lays it out
As the death toll continues to rise in Norway’s apparently related bombing and shooting attacks, a few truths are once again revealed for any who would see:
- Unarmed victims are defenseless and easy prey for any evil lunatic bent on slaughtering them at will. The adults at the youth camp were utterly unprepared to protect themselves, let alone their charges.
- People instinctively don’t question an armed man if he appears to be a police officer. Many of the same people react with horror at the sight of an armed citizen.
- The best defense against an active shooter is others with guns—it was not the unarmed who took the suspect into custody.
- Once more, “gun control” has proven useless. Many reports, if accurate, say the gunman used “automatic weapons,” which, except for some tightly regulated collector exemptions, are banned from civilian ownership in Norway.
- Once more, the race is on to tar an entire demographic for the actions of a deranged and monstrous individual, and to conflate “conservatives” with violent extremists.
And once more, expect to hear renewed calls for more citizen disarmament, that is, an expansion of the potential victim pool for those who count on such measures to make their diabolical tasks all the more easily executed.
The fact is if you disarm the public, you must protect that public or slaughter the public. This is what happens time and time again and the same people come out screaming about the gun he used, rather than the laws that prevented OTHER guns to be a deterrent.
As I said yesterday, the Left will try to squeeze every last drop of propaganda out of this, because to Leftists, the end they seek justifies every means.