I would add that given the growing number of states that allow permitless carry, the number is a bit higher. You can view the pdf here Bearing Arms provides some key highlights which eradicate certain false narratives about those who carry guns and the results of citizens carrying firearms
- There are now over 16.3 million permit holders, a record 1.83 million increase in permits since last July.
- Nationwide, 6.5% adults have a concealed handgun permit. Outside of California and New York, 8% of adults have a permit.
- Permits for women and blacks are increasing much faster than they are for men and whites.
- There are also significant differences in not only the number of permits issued but also who gets them when politicians have discretion in granting them.
- Los Angeles County provides a vivid example of how women and Hispanics are given few permits when politicians decided who can defend themselves.
- Concealed carry permit holders also continue to be stringently law-abiding.
In fact, Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn might benefit from learning that in spite of being overwhelmingly adherent to the law, permit holders are actually becoming even more law abiding! The percentage of permit holders who are charged or convicted of a felony has dropped from 0.0123 in 2015 to just 0.0092 percent in 2016.
So, more guns being bought, more people carrying firearms, and violent crime and homicide rates dropping, hmmmmm